Hamburger, Potato and Cabbage Soup with a Global Gourmet Twist
Electric pressure cooker recipe. See notes for stove-top and slow cooker directions. Includes plant-based variations if you'd like to make a Vegan/Vegetarian version. This recipe easily doubles, which I like to do so we can have leftovers for a couple of days, or easy lunches.
- 1 lb ground meat *swap in a can of beans if you'd like to make a plant-based version, and skip the first step.
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter & Cooking Sauce I used the Creole flavor for this recipe, but our Smoky Latin, North African and Mediterranean flavors would be delicious, as well!
- 2 cups 1" diced potatoes Any potato works, I used 2 medium Russet potatoes for this recipe.
- 2 cups roughly chopped cabbage Any variety of cabbage works for this, I used 1/2 of a small purple cabbage for this recipe.
- 4 cups broth/stock of your choice Any broth/stock will work. If you're making this Whole30, or Vegan/Vegetarian compatible, make sure your broth is.
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes and their juices
- Salt and hot sauce to taste
Set the pressure cooker to the "Saute" function, cook the ground meat until crumbled and the color is no longer pink.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pressure cooker, stir to combine. Place the lid on the pot, set to "Seal". Set the pot to cook at manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When finished cooking, manually release the steam.
Stir the soup, taste and adust for more salt and/or hot sauce if needed.
Serve and enjoy! (If you're not on a Whole30, this is great with a piece of crusty bread or biscuit of your choice!)
To make on the stove-top: Cook ground meat in a soup pot set over medium heat. When cooked add remaining ingredients, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and cover. Cook for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Taste to adjust for salt/hot sauce, and enjoy!
To make in the slow cooker: Brown the meat in a skillet, then add to a slow cooker with the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. Taste to adjust for salt/hot sauce, and enjoy!