Chicken Picado Recipe from Mesa de Vida
Chicken Picado - a richly-flavored, healthy skillet meal made with chicken and vegetables simmered in a richly flavored, Mexican-inspired sauce.
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice optional if using a nonstick pan
- 1-1/2 to 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into cubes. I used 1 lb chicken breasts and 1 lb beef sirloin steak for a delicious chicken and beef version that my family loved!
- 2 bell peppers, any color cut into 1" dice
- 1 onion chopped into about 1" dice
- 1 clove garlic minced *Mesa de Vida already has garlic, but a little extra boost of fresh garlic is very nice for this simmered dish. Leave out if you like mild garllic flavor.
- 1 carrot *optional, and not traditional, but we found this was a delicious addition that complimented the flavors well.
- 1/2 jar (about 1/2 cup) Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Recipe Starter & Cooking Sauce
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- Salt and hot sauce, or diced jalapeno, to taste Mesa de Vida products are extremely low in sodium so you can salt to your own tastes/health needs, and our Smoky Latin sauce is very mild, so it's approachable for all palates. Spice it up to your own tastes! *I love to add one sliced jalapeno to simmer along with the chicken for a nice spice that my family loves..and we can give my husband all of the jalapeno slices when we eat!
- fresh chopped cilantro *optional
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil to coat the bottom of the pan (optional if using a non-stick pan), swirl to coat.
Add the meat to the pan, cook until lightly golden brown on all sides.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro if you like.
Serve as you wish - with tortillas, rice or cauliflower rice, with cooked beans (simmer a can of beans with a dollop of Smoky Latin sauce and 1/2 cup of broth for 10 minutes for some delicious beans), or in a bowl as a stew.