Do you love the Whole30 Approved carnitas salad bowl from your favorite fast-casual restaurant and want to cook a copycat version at home? Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin cooking & seasoning sauce makes it easy for you to make saucy, tender shredded carnitas with bold flavor right at home!
This delicious Smoky Latin Carnitas Salad recipe makes an impressive platter to feed a crowd, which is how I like to serve it for my family. Or, prep and store each ingredient separately for lunches throughout the week.
This recipe should leave you with leftover saucy shredded pork to enjoy in many other ways for easy, delicious dinners all week. Serve on cooked sweet potatoes, make burritos or burrito bowls, tacos, enchiladas, Smoky Latin pulled pork sandwiches, and just a few ideas. You can also wrap it well and freeze it for another amazing meal in your future.
This recipe is Whole30 and Paleo friendly, but use any toppings you and your family like to make it your own!
*Here is the recipe for our stove-top carnitas recipe, too!
Smoky Latin Carnitas Platter
For the Smoky Latin carnitas
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin cooking & seasoning sauce
- 2-3 lb pork roast bone-in for the best flavor, but any pork roast will work.
- 2 Tb water *pour the water into the empty jar of Mesa de Vida and shake it up to get all of the concentrated flavor out of the jar!
- Salt and hot sauce to taste
For the toppings
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
- guacamole, chopped lettuce, pico de gallo salsa *not Whole30/Paleo, but my family likes to add cooked rice, corn, and black beans to their bowls
Smoky Latin Carnitas
- To make the Smoky Latin carnitas in the slow cooker: Place the sauce, pork, water, salt and hot sauce to taste into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred the meat and toss with the delicious juices. To make the Smoky Latin carnitas in the oven low and slow: Place the sauce, pork, water salt and hot sauce to taste into a large baking dish. Cover with foil and cook at 250 degrees for 4-6 hours until fall-apart tender. To make the Smoky Latin carnitas in the oven quick-cook method: Increase water to 1/2 cup. Cut the pork roast up into 2" pieces before proceeding as above. Cover with foil and cook in a 400 degree preheated oven for 2 hours until fall-apart tender. *You'll have plenty of saucy, delicious, tender Smoky Latin carnitas when you make this! Enjoy the leftover meat in countless ways for several more days!
Sauteed peppers and onions
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat, when hot add oil/fat, swirl to coat. Add the peppers and onions, cook until soft, tender, and slightly charred.
To assemble the platter
- Arrange the chopped lettuce, saucy Smoky Latin carnitas, sauteed peppers and onions, and toppings of your choice onto a platter. Toss just before serving, or let everyone take what they like to toss together on their own plate.
- Beef and ground meat/vegetarian ground meat alternative recipes
- Chicken recipes
- Cooking tips
- Cooking with Pantry Staples
- Easy Recipes
- Global Gourmet Pizza Series
- Gluten free recipes
- Meal Planning
- Not So Basic Basics Series
- Pasta Series
- Recipes using our Caribbean flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Creole flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Mediterranean flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our North African flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Smoky Latin flavor starter sauce
- Seafood Recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Legume Free recipes
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!