Looking for an easy, healthy, and exciting recipe for ground beef? Try Picadillo!
Picadillo is a dish that is common across Latin America, particularly Cuba and Puerto Rico, and is even common in the Philippines.
Picadillo is a thick and hearty stew made with ground meat simmered in a richly flavored tomato sauce with raisins, olives or capers. Some home-cooks start their Picadillo recipe with diced cooked potatoes, allowing this recipe to stretch to feed a crowd (making it great for make-ahead meal prep and leftover lunches, too!)
Although ground beef is the typical meat used for Picadillo, you can swap ground turkey or chicken, or even make a vegetarian version with ground-meat alternative crumbles, if you wish.
With Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin-Inspired recipe starter and cooking sauce, all of the seasonings and vegetables you need to make this delicious dish are ready to pour on, simmer and enjoy!
Depending on the region, Picadillo may be served with hot cooked rice, beans, diced fried or mashed potatoes. For a Whole30 and Paleo compatible meal serve this saucy, flavorful meaty dish with mashed potatoes made with ghee, or cauliflower rice.
I hope you enjoy our easy, healthy, simple and delicious version of Picadillo!
*Looking for a plant-based version? Try our Kidney Bean version of Picadillo, here!
Picadillo Recipe | Easy, Healthy, Delicious | #MakeItWithMesadeVida
- 1 lb ground meat or meat alternative of your choice ground beef is traditional
- 1/2 jar jar Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin-Inspired Recipe Starter & Cooking Sauce about 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tb raisins
- 1/4 cup green olives, sliced or 3 Tb capers
- Optional: 1-2 cups diced cooked potatoes (if cooking from fresh simply cook the potatoes in the pan with 2 tsp oil/fat of your choice until tender, then proceed with the rest of the recipe; otherwise add frozen diced potatoes to the meat mixture and simmer until fully cooked through)
- for serving: hot cooked rice or cauliflower rice, hot cooked beans, or mashed potatoes
- Preheat a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot add the meat and Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Recipe Starter & Cooking Sauce. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon to crumble, until the meat begins to brown.
- Add the water, raisins, olives, and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!