Mesa de Vida Creole inspired healthy cooking sauce helps you make incredibly flavorful, authentic tasting Shrimp Etouffee at home, simply!
The sauce (made simply with vegetables, whole-ground chef blended spices and herbs) does most of the work, making it easy to build a fabulous flavor base for this Creole classic. Best of all, not only are you adding flavor, you’re even boosting the nutrition! (Check out our clean ingredient label here.)
Feel free to swap out chicken breast or thighs cut into cubes if you don’t have, or don’t like shrimp. You can use regular flour, brown rice flour to keep the recipe gluten free, or you can even make the recipe grain free. If you want to skip the flour and oil (which will make this Paleo & Whole30-friendly) just saute the Mesa de Vida Creole inspired cooking sauce in a hot pan for 2-3 minutes before adding a splash of water or broth, add hot sauce and salt to taste, then toss in the shrimp. Although it won’t be an authentic Shrimp Etouffee recipe, you will have created a Shrimp Creole that will still be delicious!
With Mesa de Vida healthy cooking sauces one recipe is just the beginning. These sauces are so versatile, there are literally hundreds of ways to use each sauce! Keep a supply on hand at all times so you can use our concentrated blends of vegetables, fruit, whole ground, chef-blended spices and herbs as your all-purpose seasoning to bring flavor and global inspiration for dinner all through the week!
This is how simple it is to make an absolutely fabulous Shrimp Etouffee recipe, perfect for a dinner party as well as a simple-yet-special weeknight dinner. I hope you enjoy!
Healthy, Simple Shrimp Etouffee Recipe with Mesa de Vida Creole Cooking Sauce
- 2 Tb Butter or olive oil
- 2 Tb flour (use regular or brown rice flour)
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Creole inspired healthy cooking sauce
- Salt and hot sauce to taste
- 1/2 cup low sodium broth (seafood, chicken, vegetable, or water)
- 1 1/2 peeled, deveined shrimp
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat, when hot add butter or oil, swirl to coat.
- When melted, slowly whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until the flour turns a golden brown color, about 4-5 minutes.
- Whisk in the Mesa de Vida Creole inspired healthy cooking sauce, salt and hot sauce to taste. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, until the mixture is very thick.
- Whisk in the broth, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a simmer, lower the heat to low and fold in the shrimp.
- Simmer, stirring often, until the shrimp are fully cooked and the sauce is a thick, cream-like consistency. (Add a bit more broth/water if necessary).
- Serve and enjoy!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!