Eggs cooked in a flavorful, savory sauce are popular all around the globe. In Tunisia, Israel, or Morocco it may be called Shakshuka or Shakshouka, in Mexico it may be called Huevos Rancheros (eggs cooked in ranchero sauce), Uova al Pomodoro in Italy, or Eggs in Purgatory.
Whether it’s for a quick and healthy breakfast or brunch, or a light meal any time of day, this is a great way to transform ordinary eggs into a show-stopping meal! The basics are the same – eggs poached in tomatoes or tomato sauce, sometimes sauteed vegetables, and spices and herbs to add flavor.
Mesa de Vida’s recipe starter sauces can help you make a healthy and delicious saucy skillet egg dish in minutes. Choose the flavor based on what you have on hand, or where you feel like taking your tastebuds for the meal! They’re full of the vegetables, spices and herbs, all you do is add some ordinary canned tomato sauce or puree, add your eggs, and simmer it up! The hardest thing to do will be to decide which flavor to choose!
Healthy Shakshuka Sauce, Huevos Rancheros Sauce, Eggs in Purgatory Sauce
Try our Mediterranean flavor base for an Italian, Greek, or Turkish-inspired flavor, our Smoky Latin flavor for a delicious, quick Mexican-inspired ranchero sauce, our North African flavor for the traditional Israeli or Moroccan-inspired flavors, or our Creole flavor – no passport or packing required!
Brunch Done Better!
This recipe is low in sodium – add salt to your own tastes/health needs. It’s also relatively mild, so if you like it spicy add some hot sauce, sliced jalapeno peppers, crushed chili flakes, a swirl of harissa, or your favorite spicy condiment to kick it up.
This recipe is also naturally vegetarian, Paleo and Whole30 friendly, and gluten free.
For serving, you can’t beat a good chunk of crusty bread, warm pita or flatbread wedges. I also love to serve these savory eggs with warm, cooked chickpeas/garbanzo beans, black beans, or any type of bean you like. Roasted potatoes – diced or wedges – make a delicious dipper for Paleo or Whole30 lifestyles, and it’s actually my favorite side dish to serve these eggs with.
Top with crumbled cheese if you like – a crumbled feta, cotjia, or an aged cheddar are all great. A fresh sprinkle of herbs, if you have them on hand, is always a great addition, and you’re ready to eat!
I hope you enjoy!
Saucy Skillet Baked Eggs – Shakshuka, Huevos Rancheros, Uova al Pomodoro, Eggs in Purgatory, and more!
- 1/2 cup Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce Choose your flavor adventure! Use our Mediterranean flavor, Smoky Latin flavor, Creole flavor, or North African flavor (classic Shakshuka) and take your tastebuds on a global flavor tour!
- 15 oz canned crushed or fire roasted tomatoes
- 4-6 eggs
- Salt to taste Mesa de Vida recipe starter sauces are extremely low in sodium, so you can salt to your own tastes/health needs
- Toppings of your choice: crumbled or grated cheese (feta, parmesan, cotija, etc.), fresh chopped herbs
- Dippables of your choice: oven-roasted potatoes – diced or wedges, crusty bread, cooked asparagus, roasted zucchini spears, toasted pita or flatbread wedges, or serve over warm cooked beans
- Add the Mesa de Vida recipe starter sauce of your choice, crushed tomatoes, and salt to taste to a skillet or shallow sauce pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often.
- Make a well in the sauce (with the back of a spoon, a ramekin, the egg shell, etc.) and crack in the eggs, spreading evenly across the surface of the pan. Season the eggs with salt.
- Lower the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook until the eggs are set to your liking.
- Serve immediately, dunk and dip and enjoy!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!