This is an easy chicken recipe that is big on flavor!
Serve up this saucy, juicy flavorful meat in lettuce wraps, or over hot cooked rice, or cauliflower rice for a tasty, sweet & savory, bowl.
The fresh-made mango sauce is such a delicious compliment to our spicy, complex Caribbean-inspired braising sauce. As the meat cooks, every morsel of the chicken soaks up the flavor. Put them together and the sweet & savory bite that is anything but ordinary!
This recipe is naturally gluten-free, and I’ve included Whole30 and Paleo recipe variations below.
Watch me show you how to make it, print out the recipe, then make sure you’re stocked up on our products so you can make this any night of the week!
Saucy Shredded Caribbean Flavor Chicken and Spicy Mango Sauce Recipe
For the chicken:
- 1-1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, or 2 lb bone-in chicken breasts or thighs.
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce – Caribbean Flavor
- salt to taste Mesa de Vida's products are extremely low in sodium so you can salt to your own tastes/health needs!
For the fresh mango sauce:
- 1 large ripe mango peeled and diced
- 1 Tb pure maple syrup, OR to make it Whole30 compatible, instead use 2 pitted dates that have been soaked in warm water for few minutes to soften
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 Tb)
- salt to taste
- fresh jalapeno slices – as many as you like! Leave the seeds in for extra heat.
- Fresh crispy lettuce leaves, or hot cooked rice, or hot cooked cauliflower rice
- Fresh sliced, crunchy bell peppers and extra jalapeno, if you like
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Add the chicken, Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce and salt to taste into a saucepan. Stir well to combine, bring the heat up to medium-high heat. When the sauce begins to boil, lower the heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through, tender and juicy, and shreds easily- for boneless, skinless chicken this should take about 30 minutes or so, depending on the size of the pieces, for bone-in pieces it could take 45 minutes to an hour. Add a little bit of water if the pan sauce begins to dry out. *You could also add all of these ingredients into a slow cooker in the morning and cook on low all day.
- *Can be made a day ahead. To make the fresh spicy mango sauce, blend the ingredinets in a blender until smooth. Pour the smooth mixture into a saucepan, add the jalapeno slices to taste. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is as thick as you like it, or reaches a similar texture to ketchup. Remove from the heat and let cool while the chicken cooks.
- Shred the chicken (remove any bones if using bone-in chicken), toss with the delicious and flavorful braising juices. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Serve the saucy chicken in lettuce wraps, or on top of rice or cauliflower rice, top with crunchy fresh bell peppers and fresh cilantro, and a drizzle of your homemade mango sauce.
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!