Welcome to the Comfort of Fall – Slow Cooker & Instant Pot Recipe Series brought to you by Whole Foods Market and Mesa de Vida!
In this saucy chicken fajita-stuffed spaghetti squash recipe, everything cooks together in one pot for a flavorful and healthy comforting fall meal.
A whole spaghetti squash steams as the chicken and vegetables simmer in our flavor-packed recipe starter sauce.
Once the squash is cooked, shred the tender cooked squash, toss together with the saucy chicken mixture, and an anything-but-ordinary fiesta-worthy chicken dinner will be on the table.
This recipe is: Dairy free, gluten free, low sodium, Whole30 and Paleo-friendly, plant-based vegetarian-friendly substitutions included.
Watch the recipe video below to watch me show you how to make this recipe, and find the complete recipe below.
Saucy Chicken Fajita Stuffed Spaghetti Squash - Electric Pressure Cooker Recipe
This recipe is Whole30 compatible.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (washed well)
- 1-1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Recipe Starter and Cooking Sauce
- 2 bell peppers (any color) (cut in half vertically, cored and sliced into1/2” slices)
- 1 large onion (peeled,cut in half, sliced into 1/2” slices)
- salt and hot sauce/sliced jalapenos to taste (Mesa de Vida sauces are extremely low in sodium, allowing you to salt to your own tastes/preferences. If sodium isn’t a concern, I recommend 1 tsp for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional for serving: fresh chopped cilantro, hot cooked rice or cauliflower rice (to stay Whole30 compatible), hot cooked beans, shredded cheddar and/or cotija cheese
- Place the chicken, Mesa de Vida sauce, bell peppers, onion, salt and water into the Instant Pot, stir to combine. Add a piece of parchment paper over the mixture, then place the spaghetti squash on top. Cover, secure lid, and set the valve to “sealing”.
- Set the manual cook time for 15 minutes on high. Once the cook time is finished (it can take some time for the pot to come up to pressure, total time will be around 30-35 minutes), release the pressure on the valve.
- Carefully use large serving spoons to transfer the spaghetti squash to a platter. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
- Meanwhile, hit the Saute function on the pressure cooker to boil the sauce, reducing the sauce by about half, until it coats the back of a spoon.
- After the squash has rested for 10 minutes, cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds, then rake the squash with a fork to separate into strands.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Add the shredded squash back into the saucy chicken and vegetables, toss gently to combine. Serve, either in the hollowed-out spaghetti squash, or in a serving bowl.
- Optional: Top with cheese, allow to melt before serving.
- Plant-based vegetarian version: Swap the meat for 3 cups (or 2 cans) of cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- Another recipe from Whole Foods you may enjoy: Spicy Spaghetti Squash with Black Beans
Click here to go back to the Comfort of Fall series page.