This is an easy, incredible, slightly healthier recipe for a Spanish tapas classic – Patatas Bravas.
I have to let you know that these crispy potatoes tossed with a flavor-packed brava sauce are addictive. They are a fantastic side dish for any meal or addition to your tapas menu. I know once you try them, you’ll make them again and again.
How to make Patatas Bravas at home
Our recipe is easier, and a little healthier, than the traditional recipe, but I promise it is just as incredible.
Easy Bravas Sauce Recipe
Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Cooking & Seasoning Sauce, makes the perfect base for bravas sauce, without all of the work. The bold flavors in our concentrated cooking sauce lend themselves beautifully to the flavors of a classic bravas sauce, and all it takes is a little bit of extra fresh garlic and a splash of Sherry wine or vinegar (also some cayenne, if you like it spicy) to create a dead ringer for the classic.
*Keep this bravas sauce recipe in your back pocket any time you’re looking for a wonderful sauce to serve with chicken, fish, beans, for dipping bread, or anything!
Crispy, tender potatoes without frying
You can deep fry your diced potatoes, but I have found this par-boiling-then-baking method creates a really fantastic, crunchy outside that is perfect for soaking up the brava sauce. The inside of the potato pieces remain soft and fluffy, creating the perfect crispy-tender bite.
- This recipe is Whole30 and Paleo-friendly if you use a high-quality avocado mayonnaise (or make your own), and use Sherry vinegar instead of the Sherry wine.
- This recipe is gluten-free and vegetarian, making them a great side dish or appetizer for a wide variety of guests.
- Make these Patatas Bravas the centerpiece of your tapas menu by serving them up with some wine, a couple of Spanish cheeses, some cured ham, olives, and nuts. Or, if you’re serving a larger crowd, serve them as a starter course before serving our Paella recipe!
Patatas Bravas Recipe
- 6 medium Russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-1/2" cubes (about 12 cubes per potato – cut the potato in half, then each half in thirds)
- 2 cloves garlic, divided
- 1/4 cup high quality or homemade mayonnaise (preferably made with avocado oil)
- 2 Tb + 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp salt, divided (or less according to your taste/health preferences)
- 2 Tb Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Cooking & Seasoning Sauce
- 1 Tb Sherry wine or use Sherry vinegar
- 1 -2 pinches cayenne pepper, optional
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Bring a large saucepot of water to a boil. Add the cubed potatoes to the boiling water, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the aioli by mixing together one clove of the finely minced garlic with the mayonnaise, then set aside.
- After the potatoes have boiled for 10 minutes, rinse and drain them very well. Toss the dry, par-cooked potatoes with 2 Tb olive oil and 1 tsp salt (or to taste). Spread the potatoes out evenly on a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully turn the potatoes over. Reduce the heat of your oven to 475 degrees and cook the potatoes 15-20 minutes longer, or until deeply golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, rinse the saucepot out and make the brava sauce in the same pot: Place the remaining 2 tsp olive oil, remaining clove of minced garlic, Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Cooking & Seasoning Sauce, Sherry wine, 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste), and a pinch of cayenne pepper (if using) into the pan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the sauce thickens just a bit, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are golden brown and crispy, toss them with your brava sauce.
- Place the potatoes into your serving dish. Drizzle with the garlicky aioli, or serve on the side for dipping.
- Beef and ground meat/vegetarian ground meat alternative recipes
- Chicken recipes
- Cooking tips
- Cooking with Pantry Staples
- Easy Recipes
- Global Gourmet Pizza Series
- Gluten free recipes
- Meal Planning
- Not So Basic Basics Series
- Pasta Series
- Recipes using our Caribbean flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Creole flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Mediterranean flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our North African flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Smoky Latin flavor starter sauce
- Seafood Recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Legume Free recipes
Like this? Try our Paella recipe!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, and discounts!