This is a delicious and simple pita bread sandwich stuffed with a saucy, Sloppy-Joe style mixture with North African inspired flavors. Perfect for a fun, quick lunch, or dinner.
We made our pita bread at home, but you can use store-bought pita rounds. Making homemade pita bread was a great culinary arts project for my son while we homeschool during the Coronavirus pandemic. I used this recipe, if you’d like to make them at home.
If you’d like to make this recipe vegetarian, simply swap out the meat for cooked chickpeas. Simmer them in the Mesa de Vida North African cooking sauce for about 15 minutes, then mash them up a bit with the back of a spoon for delicious vegetarian filling.
No pita bread? No problem! Here are a few other ways you can serve up this saucy, savory Moroccan inspired meat mixture:
- If you don’t make your homemade pita, and just use store-bought, this takes all of 10-15 minutes to make.
- Skip the pita and serve the mixture on greens as a salad, along with the toppings. That’s how I enjoyed this meal with my family, and it was delicious. *The meat, spinach and sauce mixture is gluten-free, Whole30 and Paleo-friendly. (You can serve it with our without flatbread on the side.)
- Have pita chips? Serve the saucy North African meat mixture and toppings on a pile of pita chips for some awesome Moroccan inspired nachos. Yum!
- Wrap the filling and toppings up in tortillas, or serve it up on toasted buns.
I hope you enjoy this pita sandwich with Moroccan flair as much as we did!
North African Inspired Beef Pita Sandwiches
- 1 lb ground beef or any ground meat of your choice; if you'd like to make these vegetarian sandwiches, simply swap in about 2 cups of cooked chickpeas
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida North African cooking and seasoning sauce
- 1 cup frozen chopped loose-leaf spinach optional, or 2 large hand fulls of fresh spinach
- salt to taste *I used about 3/4 tsp. Mesa de Vida cooking sauces are extremely low in sodium so you can add salt to your own tastes/health needs
- 4 whole pita bread rounds, cut in half warm in the oven or microwave, keep warm until serving
- For topping: crumbled feta cheese, fresh chopped cilantro, tomatoes and fresh onion; harissa if you'd like to spice it up!
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot add the ground meat, Mesa de Vida North African cooking sauce, chopped spinach, and salt to taste.
- Cook, stirring often, until the meat is fully cooked and the mixture is a saucy, Sloppy-Joe style consistency. If the mixture is too dry add a splash of water; if it is too saucy, simply cook a few more minutes until it reaches the consistency you like.
- Spoon the beef mixture into each pita half, add toppings, and enjoy!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!