Looking for an easy, yet impressive food and wine dinner party menu? How about recipes for your next date night at home? Or, are you looking for the perfect Syrah wine and food pairing? These recipes are perfect for you!
Around the globe, barbecue and grilling is part of the fabric of the culture, with the aroma of meats kissed by the smoke of the grill filling the air on a daily basis. Kebabs are standard fare for many vibrant cuisines from around the world, with the Moroccan contribution of Kefta being one of my favorites.
Recipes for a Syrah wine and food pairing menu
I had the pleasure of creating this recipe for Taste Washington – At Home with my friends at Whole Foods Market. Each week featured a new theme. My week was Barbecue and Syrah, and of course, I had to think out of the box!
This recipe is perfect for your next backyard get-together grilling with friends or for your next date-night-in.
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make yourself, and find the recipe below.
Enjoy, and CHEERS!
Moroccan-Inspired Lamb Kefta Kebabs with Syrah-infused Couscous “Risotto” | Taste Washington At Home Recipe
- Bamboo or metal skewers
- 1-1/2 lb ground lamb substitute ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey if you wish
- 1/2 jar + Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce – North African flavor Plus extra for glazing
- 1/2 cup semolina, or chickpea flour
- salt to taste. Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauces are extremely low in sodium so you can add salt to your own taste/health needs
- crumbled feta cheese optional, to taste
- drizzle of olive oil optional, to taste
Syrah-infused couscsous "risotto"
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
- 1-1/2 cups Israeli "pearl" couscous
- 2 heaping Tb Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce – North African flavor
- 1 Tb harissa optional, to taste
- 1/4 cup Syrah wine
- 2 cups low sodium, high quality broth of your choice
- 2 cups baby spinach
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl combine the ground meat, Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce, flour, and salt just until evenly combined. Freeze for 30 minutes. Meanwhile soak the bamboo skewers in water, if using.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl stir together to combine 3 heaping tbsps of the Mesa de Vida, salt and harissa to taste. Set aside as the glaze.
- After 30 minutes, take the meat out of the freezer. Preheat your grill to high heat/approximately 500 degrees.
- Divide the meat into 8 portions, form into a rectangle-shape patty. Place the skewer down the center of the meat patty, then gently form the meat up and around the skewer, kebab-style.
- When the grill is hot, add the meat skewers to the grill. Cook 5 minutes per side, or until cooked to your liking, brushing evenly with the reserved sauce glaze mixture.
- Set aside and tent with foil until ready to serve.
Syrah-infused couscous "risotto"
- Heat a medium to large saucepan over medium heat. When hot add the oil, swirl to coat.
- Add the couscous, stirring often to coat with the oil. Cook just until the couscous turns golden brown.
- Immediately add the Syrah, Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce – North African flavor and harissa (if using) to the pan. Stirring constantly, cook until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of the broth, continue to stir constantly until it is fully absorbed, repeat with the last cup of the broth, cook and stir constantly until it is absorbed, the couscous is tender and creamy. Stir in the 2 cups of spinach until just wilted. Taste and adjust salt, if necessary.
- Serve the Kefta kebabs over a bed of the couscous “risotto”, drizzle with additional harissa if you like.
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, and discounts!