With Mesa de Vida Creole inspired healthy cooking sauce you can make an incredible, delicious, authentic-tasting Homemade gumbo- simply!
Toss the salty Creole & Gumbo seasonings and try our fresh Creole cooking sauce instead! Our Creole seasoning brings a fresher, brighter taste to your meals, and has all of the vegetables, whole-ground chef blended spices, herbs in the jar just waiting to bring life to your table. Our healthy cooking sauces, inspired by vibrant cuisines around the globe, are versatile flavor bases that will become your all-purpose recipe starter, ready to add flavor, inspiration and a boost of nutrition to hundreds of meals. Our Creole sauce is low in sodium, 100% natural, packed with flavor, and is the perfect start to your healthy homemade gumbo recipe.
Once the base is built you can add whatever meats and vegetables you like in your gumbo. My favorite combination is nitrate free Andouille sausage, chicken legs, crab and shrimp. When I want a quick gumbo I like to use diced chicken thighs and add frozen chopped okra. I make this recipe gluten free by using brown rice flour for the roux, but you can use all-purpose flour. The dark, slow-toasted roux is a fat and flour mixture that is the cornerstone for the classic flavor of gumbo. Don’t skip this important step. Other than that, play around with ingredients you like, or have on hand, and make it how you like it!
I think you’ll find this Creole inspired cooking sauce is one of the best around, and you don’t have to sacrifice taste for health as you do with many other Cajun and Creole sauces that are loaded with salt, sugar and even chemical flavorings. Our sauce is packed with the “holy trinity” of Creole/Cajun cooking (onion, celery, green bell peppers), along with garlic and the delicious seasoning blend classic in Creole recipes. Not only is your recipe going to taste amazing, your kitchen is going to smell SO good.
This is how you’ll make one of the most delicious, simple gumbo recipes right in your own kitchen. Enjoy!
*If you like this, but want something a bit simpler, try our Slow Cooker Creole Gumbo-Inspired recipe!
Healthy, simple gumbo recipe with Mesa de Vida Creole healthy cooking sauce
- 2 Tb Butter or olive oil
- 4 Tb all purpose or brown rice flour
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Creole inspired healthy cooking sauce
- Salt and hot sauce to taste
- 6 cups low sodium broth (seafood, chicken, vegetable, or water)
- Chicken (on or off the bone), nitrate-free sausage, diced chicken, cooked seafood such as crab and shrimp, okra, etc. Have fun and make this your own!
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, when hot add butter or oil, swirl to coat.
- When melted whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring often, until the flour turns a deep brown/copper color, similar to the color of a penny. The cooking and toasting of the flour roux is a big part of the flavor of gumbo. Don't rush this process, you don't want the flour to burn. Just cook and stir, this process takes anywhere from 8-12 minutes or so.
- When the roux is brown, whisk in the Mesa de Vida Creole inspired healthy cooking sauce. (This is where your house is about to smell amazing.) Stir often, cooking for 2-3 minutes until very thick. Add salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Whisk in the broth, stirring constantly so you whisk out any lumps. Bring to a simmer.
- Add your remaining ingredients. If using raw meat on the bone, add that first. Sliced sausage, cooked meats or seafood, diced chicken and vegetables such as okra don't have to be cooked as long. Simmer until the chicken (if using) is falling off the bone tender and all of the flavors have blended.
- Taste and adjust salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice if you wish and enjoy!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!