Are you looking for healthy chicken recipes for your slow cooker? Tired of the same old boring slow cooker chicken? Do you love one-pot crockpot meals that are gourmet enough for guests, yet simple enough to prep on a busy weekday?
If so, I am so excited to share this recipe with you!
Lynn (pictured below) was kind enough to send in one of the best written recipes I think I’ve ever seen. She has created a gloriously gourmet and healthy slow cooker recipe using our North African cooking sauce as the base for her flavorful creation. I love how she has used the sauce as a flavor base/recipe starter, allowing her to cut out over 15 different ingredients, without sacrificing any flavor!
The recipe would work just as well with any of our healthy global gourmet cooking sauces, you can change the flavor up to Smoky Latin, Creole, or Caribbean with ease, as well as use differing meats such as pork, chicken or turkey, keeping the recipe exciting every week.
With potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms and chicken, you’ve got a complete, wholesome, healthy one-pot meal that slow cooks to perfection all day. Can you imagine that incredible aroma greeting you when you come in after a long day? Yum!
Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us Lynn! I love this healthy and delicious Moroccan inspired slow cooker chicken recipe, and my family did as well. It is kid-friendly, as well as gourmet, a great combination. I plan on making this for family weeknight dinners, as well as for a dinner party to wow guests, how about you?
*Need this recipe to be Whole30 compliant, or grain free? Just skip the flour! Your sauce may be a bit thinner, but simmering it in a shallow skillet for a few minutes will reduce it, creating a deliciously flavorful, rich sauce. Need the recipe to be gluten free? Swap the regular flour for brown rice flour and get the same results, with no gluten.
To thank Lynn for sharing she gets one of our bright & beautiful cotton tea towels sent to her, to brighten up her kitchen. Every month we reward a customer that shares a social media post, email, or recipe to share the Mesa de Vida love. Share your posts with the hashtag #MesadeVida or #MakeItWithMesadeVida and tag us on social media (links below), or email me direct. You could be the next winner!
Lynn’s Mesa De Vida Slow-Cooked Chicken
Recipe by Lynn Blair, Mesa de Vida customer
Serves Four People *Kirsten’s note here: I doubled the chicken to serve 6 people , plus leftovers, when I made this recipe and it turned out delicious; I have to say the leftovers reheated the next day were equally delicious! I also used bone-in chicken thighs, and cooked it on low for 8 hours, allowing me to be away from the house a little bit longer. Lynn’s recipe is very flexible!
1 jar of Mesa De Vida North African Sauce
4 small russet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/3″ slices
1/2 of a red bell pepper sliced into 1/3″ slices
1/2 of a yellow bell pepper sliced into 1/3″ slices
1 small white/sweet onion peeled and sliced into 1/3″ slices
1 cup of sliced mushrooms (mushrooms of your choice, I used Cremini mushrooms)
1 teaspoon of fresh minced garlic
2 each Roma tomatoes cut into 1/2″ by 1/2″ pieces (including the juice)
4 each boneless and skinless chicken thighs
4 – 6 tablespoons of all purpose flour
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Fresh Chopped Italian Parsley for a Garnish and Flavor
- Place half of the jar of African sauce into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Lay the potato slices on top of the sauce in the crock pot.
- Lightly coat the chicken thighs in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet on the stove heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken thighs and lightly brown both sides.
- Remove from the skillet from the heat.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the sauce in the crock pot.
Place the chicken thighs as “open” as possible on top of the ingredients.
- In the same skillet you browned the chicken thighs (place the skillet back on the stove on medium heat) add: the garlic, sliced onion, sliced yellow pepper, mushrooms, and sliced red pepper.
- Gently saute the ingredients until the onions are lightly browned. Note: Do not saute the ingredients until they are brown as this will cause the garlic have a harsh flavor. Simply saute the ingredients over medium heat gently stirring until the onions start to be come translucent.
- Remove the skillet and its ingredients from the heat.
- Pour the contents of the skillet, including any juices in the skillet, on top of the potatoes and chicken thighs already in the crock pot.
- Add the fresh tomatoes pieces on top of the chicken thighs.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the remaining half jar of African sauce. Stir to combine.
- Pour the remaining sauce/water gently over all the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Cover the crock pot and set the crock pot on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for approximately 3 to 3 & 1/2 hours or until the chicken is very tender and starting to falling apart when pierced with a fork. The overall timing will depend on the size of your crock pot (small versus large) and also on the size and thickness of your chicken thighs, therefore check your chicken along the way the first time you make the recipe to check for doneness and tenderness.
- Garnish the dish with fresh chopped Italian parsley.
- Serve the chicken and sauce on top of white rice, brown rice, wild rice, cooked riced cauliflower, or on its own with a piece of crusty bread to enjoy with the juice!
- Note: At the end of cooking, as a matter of choice, you may wish to thicken the sauce (or not) depending on how you intend on serving the dish. Your sauce may thicken enough during cooking depending on how much flour you dredged the chicken in. You be the judge.
- Options: Might be to add some sliced zucchini, green beans, carrots, or another vegetable of your choice to the crock pot. This recipe is very flexible and a great way to use a variety of vegetables in your refrigerator.
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, and discounts!