Hamburger, potatoes, cabbage and canned tomatoes – simple, staple ingredients. Transform these basics into a gourmet meal with a global flavor twist when you start with a jar of Mesa de Vida recipe starter and cooking sauce!
This hamburger soup recipe is written for the electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi, etc.), where it cooks up in 10 minutes. (Total time for the minimal prep, pressure, etc. came in at about 30 minutes.) I have also included stove-top and slow cooker instructions in the recipe below, also.
Starting this recipe with Mesa de Vida cooking sauces means you eliminate the need to shop for/buy/prep a whole list of vegetables, herbs, and spices, you can trust that the flavor is going to be restaurant-worthy, and you’ll even get a boost of nutrition along with the flavor. We’ve done most of the work, making it easy for you to make it amazing!
- I made this recipe for my family with our Creole flavor, but it would be fantastic with our Smoky Latin, North African or Mediterranean flavors, as well.
- When I make this, I make a double batch so we have a good 14-16 servings for dinners and lunches for a couple of days.
- This hamburger soup recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. It is also Whole30, Paleo, and Vegan/Vegetarian (swap in beans for the meat, recipe variation below) compatible, just make sure the broth you use fits your needs.
- You can adjust the sodium to your own tastes/health needs.
Hamburger, Potato and Cabbage Soup with a Global Gourmet Twist
- Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi, etc.)
- 1 lb ground meat *swap in a can of beans if you'd like to make a plant-based version, and skip the first step.
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter & Cooking Sauce I used the Creole flavor for this recipe, but our Smoky Latin, North African and Mediterranean flavors would be delicious, as well!
- 2 cups 1" diced potatoes Any potato works, I used 2 medium Russet potatoes for this recipe.
- 2 cups roughly chopped cabbage Any variety of cabbage works for this, I used 1/2 of a small purple cabbage for this recipe.
- 4 cups broth/stock of your choice Any broth/stock will work. If you're making this Whole30, or Vegan/Vegetarian compatible, make sure your broth is.
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes and their juices
- Salt and hot sauce to taste
- Set the pressure cooker to the "Saute" function, cook the ground meat until crumbled and the color is no longer pink.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pressure cooker, stir to combine. Place the lid on the pot, set to "Seal". Set the pot to cook at manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When finished cooking, manually release the steam.
- Stir the soup, taste and adust for more salt and/or hot sauce if needed.
- Serve and enjoy! (If you're not on a Whole30, this is great with a piece of crusty bread or biscuit of your choice!)
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!