How to make Greek Braised Chickpeas, a delicious and easy chickpea recipe. It’s perfect for a side dish or a vegetarian main entree. Simple pantry staples become a restaurant-worthy dinner that takes about 5 minutes to prep, and is ready in under 30 minutes.
This is the first recipe in our Inspired-By Series. We are taking recipes that look delicious but call for a long list of ingredients and time to prepare. We swap in Mesa de Vida’s thick and rich vegetable-based blends so you don’t have to chop a basket full of vegetables or stock up on every herb and spice under the sun in order to make a delicious globally-inspired meal.
I found this Greek Braised Chickpeas, or Mediterranean Chickpea Stew, in a popular cooking magazine. It takes a healthy pantry staple – canned chickpeas – and transforms them into a one-pot vegetarian meal, or side dish. Our Mediterranean cooking & seasoning sauce does most of the work for you and packs a ton of flavor into the chickpeas. Most importantly our sauce cut out over 8 ingredients that you don’t have to buy or chop – they’re already in the jar! (It’s like having a sous chef do most of the work for you!)
As is the case for most braises and stews, this healthy chickpea stew recipe is even better the next day, so make sure you make plenty! It is delicious warm or cold, so it’s great for packing for lunch the next day.
- If you’d like to make this recipe a meatier, one-pot meal you can start the recipe by browning diced boneless chicken breasts or thighs, then proceed with the recipe. You can also use bone broth to enrich the dish even further.
- To make this recipe completely vegan simply omit the feta cheese, honey, and use vegetable broth.
- Serve as a vegetarian main-entree, or as a side dish with a simple roasted protein. This is a phenomenal meal that would fit the bill as a Tuesday night quick-fix dinner, or right at home for your next weekend dinner party around the table with family and friends.
- Want to take this chickpea recipe on a trip towards Morocco? Transform it easily and give it a whole new flavor by using our North African cooking & seasoning sauce instead!
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make. I can’t wait to hear how you like it!
*For more Mediterranean-inspired recipes click here.
You can buy Mesa de Vida Global Gourmet Cooking & Seasoning Sauces at Whole Foods Market! No store near you? We’ll deliver it to your door! Click for a store near you, or to order now.
Greek Braised Chickpea Recipe | Easy, Healthy, Simple, Amazing | Mesa de Vida
- 1 Tb healthy oil/fat of your choice, optional
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Mediterranean Cooking & Seasoning Sauce
- 2 cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained if using your own cooked beans it is 4-6 cups
- 3/4 cup high quality, low/no sodium broth
- salt to taste
- 1 Tb honey, optional
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat a saucepot over medium heat. When hot add oil, swirl to coat.
- Add the Mediterranean cooking & seasoning sauce. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas, broth, and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer then lower the heat to low, cover the pan, and braise the chickpeas for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes stir the chickpeas and top with crumbled feta cheese.
- Beef and ground meat/vegetarian ground meat alternative recipes
- Chicken recipes
- Cooking tips
- Cooking with Pantry Staples
- Easy Recipes
- Global Gourmet Pizza Series
- Gluten free recipes
- Meal Planning
- Not So Basic Basics Series
- Pasta Series
- Recipes using our Caribbean flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Creole flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Mediterranean flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our North African flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Smoky Latin flavor starter sauce
- Seafood Recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Legume Free recipes
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!