This is a simple and delicious recipe to make with dried white beans in your Instant Pot. Healthy, nutritious, easy, and tasty as can be!
Quick and Easy Southern-Style Beans
Our take on this comfort-food classic uses our Creole cooking and seasoning sauce to create the savory flavor base for this quick and easy Instant Pot bean recipe. All of the authentic aromatic vegetables, herbs, and spices are already perfectly blended for you, making it easy to create this budget-friendly bean recipe that makes a healthy, yet hearty meal.
How To Make Dried Beans Easier To Digest
If you’re like the millions of others that experience digestion issues after eating beans (I’m right there with you), I’ll share with you the method that has helped a ton for me. Canned, or even stovetop simmered, dried beans never sat well with my stomach, so I didn’t eat them very often. With the following method for prepping and cooking dried beans, I have found that I can enjoy beans more often and that they are actually soothing and gentle on my digestion. Here are my tips that work for me:
- First, I prefer to pre-soak my dried beans in boiling water the morning of cooking them, not the night before. I don’t know what sort of scientific transformation happens, but I’ve experimented quite a few times, and it works for me. (This is also great since I tend to forget to soak my beans the night before, anyway!). I just pour freshly boiled water from a kettle over the beans in the morning, then let them sit on the counter all day.
- After straining all of the soaking liquid off of the beans, I cook them in the pressure cooker until just-tender (the same consistency as a canned bean). At this point, I can proceed with any recipe calling for cooked beans, and/or I can cool then refrigerate or freeze the beans to use any time.
- I don’t add salt to the beans until I combine them with the seasonings and aromatics for the final dish. I used to find I would get tough beans, and this method has helped my beans turn out well every time.
I’ve learned that Creamy Southern-Style White Beans are often served with Johnny Cakes, (also called hoecakes), which is essentially cornbread batter cooked up pancake-style. My son made up a batch of these delicious Johnny Cakes to enjoy with our creamy, comforting bowls of goodness, and it was divine. (The leftover Johnny Cakes were wonderful the next morning slathered in homemade jam and maple syrup.) I’ve also seen the beans served with hot cooked white rice. Topping with fresh chopped onion and hot sauce is also traditional – and so delicious!
This recipe is sure to become a staple in our recipe rotation, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Creamy Southern Style White Beans | Instant Pot Recipe
- Pressure Cooker
- 3 cups dried white beans (or 4 cans cooked white beans, rinsed and drained) cannelini beans, small white beans, or pinto beans work. I used pinto beans for my recipe since it was all I had on hand, and it was delicious *see directions below for my tips for prepping your beans
- 1/2 cup Mesa de Vida Creole cooking & seasoning sauce
- 2 cups high-quality chicken or vegetable broth of your choice
- 1 chopped onion reserve 4 Tb for topping, if desired
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and hot sauce to taste *Mesa de Vida cooking and seasoning sauces are extremely low in sodium so you can salt to your own taste/health needs
To prep your dried beans for easiest digestion:
- Rince and drain your beans, then place them in a large metal or glass container. If prepping the night before you want to make the recipe: Pour enough cool water over the beans to cover by two inches. If prepping the morning you want to make the recipe (my preferred method): Pour enough boiling water over the top to cover by 2 inches. Let the beans soak on your counter until you are ready to proceed.
- About 45 minutes before you want to make the recipe, rinse and strain the soaked beans. Pour the beans into the Instant Pot, add 6 cups of fresh water. Cook at pressure for 10 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally. Strain all of the liquid, then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Proceed with the cooked beans:
- Place your cooked beans, Mesa de Vida Creole cooking & seasoning sauce, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, broth and salt, to taste, into the Instant Pot. Cook at pressure for 10 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally.
- Remove the lid and stir the beans vigorously to mash them a bit to create a creamy, thick consistency. Keep stirring and mashing until the consistency is as thick as you like it! *If your beans happen to still be too firm to mash, cook at pressure in 5 minute increments until they are tender. This recipe was tested with dried cannelini beans and dried pinto beans, and the times given worked perfectly. Beans can differ depending on their age and variety, so you may have to adjust cooking time.
- Serve the beans, topped with a bit of fresh chopped onion and hot sauce, if you wish. It is typical to serve these creamy Southern-style beans with Johnny cakes (also called hoe cakes, or corn cakes – similar to a pancake made with corn meal), or over hot cooked rice. Enjoy!
- Beef and ground meat/vegetarian ground meat alternative recipes
- Chicken recipes
- Cooking tips
- Cooking with Pantry Staples
- Easy Recipes
- Global Gourmet Pizza Series
- Gluten free recipes
- Meal Planning
- Not So Basic Basics Series
- Pasta Series
- Recipes using our Caribbean flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Creole flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Mediterranean flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our North African flavor starter sauce
- Recipes using our Smoky Latin flavor starter sauce
- Seafood Recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Legume Free recipes
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, and discounts!