These hearty, meat-free burgers are easy and delicious! Our recipe starter sauces are an easy way to amp up the flavor of this healthy bean, quinoa and oat-based burger recipe. Each time you make these you can switch up the flavor of sauce you use to bring a whole new flavor to your homemade bean burgers!
If you’re looking for a tasty vegan or vegetarian alternative, but don’t enjoy the “alt-meat” burgers on the market, give these real-food burgers a try! A few simple pantry staple ingredients is all you need to make a great, homemade plant-based burger with great flavor, and tons of plant-based protein.
These meat-free burgers are 100% plant-based, oil-free, gluten-free. and you get to control the sodium level. They’re so delicious even meat-eaters should enjoy them!
Serve these homemade bean burgers as you would any hamburger, or enjoy them as-is for a protein-packed entree. Topped with ketchup, avocado, slices of fresh tomato and onion – or any toppings you like – and enjoy!
Choose-Your-Flavor-Adventure Plant-Based Burger Recipe
- Food processor is helpful, but if you don't have one you can still make these!
- 1/2 cup Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce in the flavor of your choice our Caribbean, Creole, Mediterranean, North African and Smoky Latin flavors are all fantastic with this recipe!
- 1 can cooked and well-drained beans – black beans, garbanzo beans, cooked lentils, pinto beans, kidney beans all work great! about 1-1/2 cup cooked
- 3/4 cup quick-cook oats if you only have regular rolled oats on hand just process them in the processor for a few quick pulses prior to adding the remaining ingredients.
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa if you don't have quinoa, you can swap in cooked white or brown rice
- 2 Tb bread crumbs – regular, panko, whole-grain, or gluten free
- salt to taste/health needs (I use about 1 tsp for this recipe) Mesa de Vida recipe starter sauces are extremely low in sodium, so you get to salt to your own tastes
- Prepare a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place all of the ingredients into the food processor. Pulse until well-combined and the ingredients hold together well. *No food processor? First mash the beans in a bowl until smooth; then fold in the remaining ingredients until well-combined.
- Wet your hands to prevent sticking. Pour the combined mixture onto a baking sheet or cutting board, forming into a rough square shape. Use the side of your hand to "cut" into 4 equal square portions. Form each portion (wet hands again if the mixture is sticking) into a round burger shape about 1" thick, then place on the parchment paper; repeat with the remaining burgers.
- Refrigerate the burgers for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- After the burgers have rested in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, place the burgers (still on the parchment paper on the baking sheet) into the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes, carefully flip the burgers, then bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown and slightly crunchy (yum)!
- *If you prefer to pan-saute these burgers in a skillet, preheat a skillet over medium heat, add about 1 tb of oil, then cook the burgers for 8 minutes per side.
- Serve with your favorite burger toppings and enjoy!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!