Mesa de Vida’s North African flavor Recipe Starter Sauce helps you create this incredibly delicious, easy, and flavor-packed chicken tagine recipe! This stewed chicken braised in rich, complex Moroccan flavors is a fantastic go-to weeknight chicken dinner. This chicken tagine recipe is also a great option for a casual dinner party menu, or date-night-in meal!
Mesa de Vida makes it easy for YOU to make it amazing!
- This recipe is Whole30, Paleo, and Gluten-Free friendly. Serve over couscous or rice, or with crusty bread to sop up the delicious juices. Or, keep the entire recipe Whole30 compatible and serve over cauliflower rice or pureed cauliflower.
- Want to switch up the flavor for a whole new saucy braised-chicken recipe? Simply swap out the flavor of Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce you use and take your weeknight chicken dinner on a trip around the world!
Chicken Tagine Recipe
- 1 -2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice, optional
- 4 -6 chicken portions bone-in, skin-on thighs are my favorite to use, but breasts work as well, or any chicken portions. If you use larger pieces of chicken increase the cook time to 1 hour if cooking in the oven; if using boneless, skinless chicken pieces decrease the cooking time to 30 minutes if cooking in the oven. For slow cooking the times will be the same as below.
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce – North African flavor
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 -1 cup green olives
- 1 lemon (or 1/2 cup chopped preserved lemon) sliced
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, optional diced or sliced
- fresh chopped parsley and/or cilantro, and toasted slivered or sliced almonds for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken to your own tastes/health needs. Heat a large high-sided skillet, chicken braiser pan, Dutch oven, or tagine base over medium heat.
- Add oil/fat (if using) to the pan, swirl to coat. Add the chicken pieces to the pan, brown on all sides.
- Add the remaining ingredients – Mesa de Vida recipe starter sauce, water, olives, apricots, and salt/pepper to taste. Tuck the lemon slices in and around the chicken.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place into the oven. Cook for 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees (resting for 10 minutes will allow the chicken to continue to cook up to the finished temp of 180 degrees). If you'd like the skin to get crispy, turn on the broiler for a few minutes to brown it up.
- Serve with fresh herbs and toasted sliced/chopped almonds and enjoy! Great over couscous, rice, or sopped up with crusty bread. If you'd like to keep this entire recipe Whole30 or Paleo compatible, serve over cauliflower rice.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Brown the meat, then add all of the ingredients (except for the garnishes) into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.