I think you’re going to love this easy Chicken Picado recipe! Chicken Picado is a savory, healthy Mexican-inspired dish of chicken and vegetables simmered in a richly flavored tomato sauce.
Our Smoky Latin Recipe Starter and Cooking Sauce brings all of the flavor to the recipe, transforming the simple meat and vegetables into a skillet meal that will be sure to bring life to your table!
Easy, healthy Chicken Picado Recipe
- The ingredients in our Chicken Picado recipe are Whole30-friendly, gluten-free, and dairy free, and perfect for Paleo diets, as well. The sodium level is adjustable, so you can control the salt to your own tastes and health needs.
- Serve our easy Chicken Picado recipe with warm tortillas, with regular rice, brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice, or enjoy like a stew right out of a bowl!
Since I first made this recipe, it has become one of our favorite go-to meal on busy weekdays. I hope you love this recipe as much as I and my family did.
Chicken Picado Recipe from Mesa de Vida
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice optional if using a nonstick pan
- 1-1/2 to 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into cubes. I used 1 lb chicken breasts and 1 lb beef sirloin steak for a delicious chicken and beef version that my family loved!
- 2 bell peppers, any color cut into 1" dice
- 1 onion chopped into about 1" dice
- 1 clove garlic minced *Mesa de Vida already has garlic, but a little extra boost of fresh garlic is very nice for this simmered dish. Leave out if you like mild garllic flavor.
- 1 carrot *optional, and not traditional, but we found this was a delicious addition that complimented the flavors well.
- 1/2 jar (about 1/2 cup) Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Recipe Starter & Cooking Sauce
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- Salt and hot sauce, or diced jalapeno, to taste Mesa de Vida products are extremely low in sodium so you can salt to your own tastes/health needs, and our Smoky Latin sauce is very mild, so it's approachable for all palates. Spice it up to your own tastes! *I love to add one sliced jalapeno to simmer along with the chicken for a nice spice that my family loves..and we can give my husband all of the jalapeno slices when we eat!
- fresh chopped cilantro *optional
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil to coat the bottom of the pan (optional if using a non-stick pan), swirl to coat.
- Add the meat to the pan, cook until lightly golden brown on all sides.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro if you like.
- Serve as you wish – with tortillas, rice or cauliflower rice, with cooked beans (simmer a can of beans with a dollop of Smoky Latin sauce and 1/2 cup of broth for 10 minutes for some delicious beans), or in a bowl as a stew.
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!