Jambalaya is a dish to be respected. The roots to this incredibly tasty rice and meat creation go back centuries, drawing from Spanish and French inspiration. Much like Spanish paella, risotto, and pilaf recipes from around the world, this recipe came about as a great way to make an inexpensive meal using whatever meat or seafood you had on hand. Seasoned heavily with the classic herbs and spices from the region, then simmered with rice, these rice-based dishes were a great way to stretch a little bit of meat, and feed a crowd.
Nowadays you can find these humble rice and meat dishes in gourmet restaurants around the world. Jambalaya is one of my favorites, how about you?
If you want the taste of this classic recipe, but want to make it with cauliflower rice instead, then I’ve got the simplest, most delicious recipe for you! If you’re cutting out grains from your diet, following the Whole30 program, live a Paleo or low-carb lifestyle, this Whole30 friendly Cauliflower Rice Jambalaya is going to be your new favorite!
Using our Creole inspired healthy cooking sauce helps you create delicious Creole inspired meals – simply. Our concentrated cooking sauce/recipe starter is made with just fruits, vegetables, spices and herbs, so you’ve got the tasty “holy trinity” of vegetables (celery, onion and green bell pepper), plus the rich, savory spices and herbs found in Creole inspired dishes. Our seasoning sauces are also low in sodium, which is often hard to find when purchasing ready-made Creole/Cajun seasonings. We bring the flavor to the party, and make it easy for you to create healthier, gourmet, delicious, restaurant-quality meals in your own kitchen!
Our Cauliflower Rice Jambalaya recipe takes less than 15 minutes to make, and is one of the many reasons to keep your pantry stocked with Mesa de Vida healthy cooking sauce/recipe starters! With over 15 ingredients in each jar that you didn’t have to shop for, prep, and figure out how to combine, we can help you cook exciting meals in minutes using pantry and freezer staples.
- For this recipe I used Whole30 friendly sausage, as well as shrimp, but this recipe would be delicious with any meat you’ve got on hand. Diced chicken, ground pork, anything you’d like to use! Try Pederson’s Natural Farms Whole30 Approved/Paleo/Sugar Free sausage too!
- If you’d like to make a vegetarian cauliflower rice jambalaya you can add in some frozen chopped okra, and maybe some chopped bell peppers.
- Now that you know how to make this simply spectacular recipe try switching up the meat and cooking sauce to create exciting new cauliflower-rice-based dishes every week! I know I’m excited to try Pederson’s Whole30 friendly chorizo with our Smoky Latin inspired cooking sauce for a low-carb meaty Spanish rice style dish, and I think some ground lamb along with our North African inspired healthy cooking sauce would be incredible – instead of couscous, make it cauli-cous!
- Want some more Creole-inspired recipes to enjoy? Try our gumbo and shrimp etouffee recipes, which can easily be made Whole30 friendly as well.
- How would you #MakeItWithMesadeVida? Share your recipe with us on social media and we’d love to share it with our community!
This Creole Jambalaya with cauliflower rice recipe is packed with flavor, fiber and nutrition, and I can’t wait for you to give it a try!
*June 25, 2018 – make sure you watch our how-to video to learn how to enter the GIVEAWAY we’re hosting! Details will be updated as the winner is announced – good luck!
Creole Jambalaya with Cauliflower Rice – Whole30 Friendly | Paleo | Low Carb | Low-Sodium
Serves 4, easily doubles to make more
1 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
10 oz (about 4 cups) cauliflower rice, fresh or frozen
1/2 lb diced cooked sausage
1 lb cleaned, shelled shrimp (I use rinsed and drained frozen shrimp)
2 tb-1/4 cup broth
Salt and hot sauce to taste *Our cooking sauce is low in sodium, so you control the salt level. The Creole sauce is a medium-spice level, so if you like it hot feel free to kick it up with additional hot sauce!
Optional: Fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, when hot add oil, swirl to coat.
- Add the cauliflower rice and Mesa de Vida Creole healthy cooking sauce to the pan. Stir and saute for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the sausage, shrimp, broth, salt and hot sauce (if using). *The amount of broth you use will depend on how well drained your shrimp is, and how much moisture is in your cauliflower rice. I find some brands are very dry, others have a lot of moisture. Add just enough so you have a bit of juice in the pan between the cooking sauce and the broth, but not too much that it will be soggy. I used 2 tablespoons of broth for this video, and I used the Trader Joes organic frozen cauliflower rice.
- Cover and cook for 7 minutes, or until the shrimp are just cooked through, and the cauliflower rice is just tender.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, and discounts!