This recipe for braised carrots is a simple, elevated side dish for any night of the week. I made my braised carrots using our North African flavor recipe starter sauce for Moroccan-inspiration, but you can use any flavor of our globally-inspired recipe starter sauces that you like! Simple carrots as a boring side dish? Not when you #MakeItWithMesadeVida!
I made these for a live stream cooking session focused on braising over on Instagram Live, and you can watch the replay below. I also made our Caribbean-Coconut Braised Chicken and Choose-Your-Flavor-Adventure Braised Beans during the session as well – make sure you check out those recipes, too!
- 6-8 carrots peeled, trimmed, and sliced vertically; baby carrots or simple sliced carrots work, as well
- 2 Tb Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce – any flavor I used our North African flavor recipe starter sauce for Moroccan-inspired flavor
- 1 cup water or broth
- salt to taste Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauces are extremely low in sodium so you can salt to your own tastes/health needs.
- optional additions: hot pepper flakes or sliced hot chili peppers; crumbled cheese and fresh herbs for serving I used crumbled feta cheese and fresh parsley to pair with the North African flavor sauce
- Add all of the ingredients (except for optional additions) to a large skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Simmer until the carrots are tender and most of the liquid has cooked off and creates a thick, rich sauce that clings to the carrots. Stir often.
- Tips: If the liquid cooks off before the carrots get tender (if your carrot pieces are larger) simply add a bit more water/broth. If the carrots are tender but there is still a lot of liquid remaining in the pan simply remove the carrots to your serving dish and continue to cook the liquid in the pan until it thickens and reduces.
- Top with any additional toppings you like, serve and enjoy!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, and discounts!