Birria is an incredible meat stew that is said to have originated in the state of Jalisco, Mexico. A complex, rich broth made with chiles, vinegar, spices, herbs, onions, garlic (as most recipes, each family has their own secret blend), the juicy sauce and tender, shredded meat is a truly special combination.
If you get a chance to make it from scratch (there are a million recipes out there!), or enjoy it from an authentic restaurant/vendor, don’t pass up on that chance!
Easy Beef Birria Recipe To Make At Home
If you’re looking for an easy version of beef birria to make at home, our complex Smoky Latin Recipe Starter & Seasoning Sauce makes a great semi-homemade slow-cooked, saucy meat stew, without sacrificing great flavor.
Sauce for Making Beef Birria
Our do-it-all sauce contains onions, garlic, single-variety ground chiles, oregano, and vinegar, and is chef-blended for you in one jar – plus carrots, concentrated tomatoes, and even a touch of plum are also in the mix for texture, and balance of flavor.
How to Serve Beef Birria
- Make tacos! Add fresh diced onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime to a warm tortilla, and dip each bite into the juices before noshing. For a real treat, add a little cheese (optional) and cook the juicy meat-filled taco in a hot skillet or griddle until golden brown, then pour a little bit of the consome over the top. It’s a messy, wonderful treat!
- You can also enjoy this stew straight up, with rice and beans on the side.
- If you’re doing a Whole30, eat a Paleo-style diet, or just don’t eat tortillas, this meal is delicious with steamed diced potatoes, as well. (Not traditional, but you can add some cubed potatoes and carrots to the slow cooker as you’re cooking the meat.)
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Easy Beef Birria Recipe
- 2 -3 lb beef chuck roast you can also use lamb shoulder, or beef flank steak
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Recipe Starter Sauce
- 3 cups beef broth or beef bone broth for extra nourishment, but any broth will work since the beef and sauce are so flavorful
- salt and hot chile sauce to taste Our sauce is extremely low in sodium, and mild, so you can adjust the salt and heat to your own liking
- Add it all to the slow cooker, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred the meat and mix in with the juices before serving.
- If you'd like to dip your birria or tacos, into the consome, strain the meat from the liquid in the pot, add minced onion and fresh cilantro to the delicious, flavorful soup, add a squeeze of fresh lime, then enjoy!
You might also like...
Recipes, Tips from the Chef, Savings and More!
Get a promo code for 10% off, and our FREE menu planning strategies guide! You'll also be the first to get new recipes, exclusive content, notified when Mesa de Vida is in a store near you, upcoming giveaways, events, and discounts!